Photos from the blizzard

I’ve finally recovered from the blizzard that hit Wisconsin a couple of days ago. At first it was kind of exciting and fun. The flakes coming down were huge, like feathers. I made hot chocolate for Bill and took it out to him while he shoveled the driveway. Bagelkins played in the snow a bit, like she used to when she was little.

As the hours went by, it got less exhilarating. As the snow piled up, Bagelkins literally got stuck when she went outside, sinking right into the snow, and I had to rescue her. The wind howled and the trees bent over. Limbs snapped and we had to shake off the branches to try to keep our smaller trees from being ruined. Around 5:30 our power began to flicker and panic set in.

“Quick! Eat everything in the refrigerator! Crank up the heat to 80! Turn on every television. Suck up all the power you can before it’s too late,” I yelled.

It was too late. The house went dark a little after 6 pm Thursday night and treacherous boredom set in.

Bill was Mr. Positive. “This is great. Cozy. Now we can catch up,” he said. “So how’ve you been?”

I kept staring at the television, a big rectangle of emptiness in the flickering candlelight. “I miss my friends,” I whined. Leonard and Penny were right inside the tv. So close, yet so far away.

Believing the lights would come on any minute, still not recognizing the doom that had befallen us, Bill fixed us a plate of apples. “Isn’t this fun?” he said. I got sick of them right away but he urged me to eat some more, since he doesn’t like to hear the sound of his own crunching. It was like we were in hell. Bagelkins wasn’t on my side either. She just slept like nothing had changed.

By seven o’clock I was ready to go to bed. Bill forced me to stay up until 10 o’clock, bribing me with a light-up book-reading gadget confiscated from our generic gift stash. (Sorry — One less prize at the yearly Christmas Apples to Apples game.)

When Bill woke up yesterday morning to go to work he was finally crabby, since the house was freezing and he could not shower. I stayed in bed, breathing through the tiny opening in my hooded sweatshirt.

More hours went by. I called the electric company so many times that they now know my name, the name of my dog, her health problems, and way too much other information about me.

At the point when I had decided I couldn’t take one more moment and Bagelkins and I would finally have to venture out to Panera for some coffee and bagels, the power miraculously came back on. I’ve never been so happy to have the basic necessities of life. It was a wake-up call as to how dependent I am on modern conveniences. I often dream of living in a cute, snowy little cabin, but now I realize how much I am not cut out for that.

We were without power for over sixteen hours. It was truly miserable. I think we need to invest in a generator because I never want to be that cold or coffee-less again.

Here are some photos from it:



This photo and the two above it are by Holly Tierney-Bedord. All rights reserved.
This photo and the two above it are by Holly Tierney-Bedord. All rights reserved.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
close-alt close collapse comment ellipsis expand gallery heart lock menu next pinned previous reply search share star