It’s almost time for another season of The Bachelor to begin. It’s no secret to people who know me how much I love this show (and The Bachelorette), but people who don’t know me well are often surprised that I’m into it. They assume it’s a really sappy, romantic show, and I must be a hopeless romantic. Sure, I love the romance, but it’s actually my cynical side that gets the biggest kick out of it.
Here are ten reasons I love The Bachelor:
- Drama. As you’d expect, there’s plenty of it.
- World travel. They often film in beautiful, exotic locales.
- Romance. Every one in a while there’s a season where people actually fall in love, and it’s great.
- Competitiveness. The Bachelor is, after all, a competition. Who doesn’t love watching a good sporting match?
- Predictability. Despite the craziness, The Bachelor offers up the blend of comfort and familiarity. You know what you’re going to get.
- Timing. The Bachelor’s Monday time slot makes it the perfect reward at the start of a workweek.
- Live interaction. Thanks to all the live commentary taking place on Twitter, The Bachelor is a funnier, more interactive experience than ever before.
- Clothes. From evening gowns to cocktail dresses to the season when all the guys kept wearing scarves, I love the clothes.
- Return guests. The comeback kid formula that brings runners-up back for another chance is a clever, successful idea. This way viewers are invested in each new season.
- Inspiring. Obviously, The Bachelor makes my creative wheels spin — I mean, I wrote a book inspired by it, so it’s obvious that I find it pretty thought provoking and entertaining. I’m a reality TV junkie for plenty of other shows as well, from The Real Housewives to The Amazing Race, Survivor, and more, but The Bachelor remains my top favorite, after all these years, because it continues to find the right mix of updating itself a little, without changing too much from where it started.